This is a great question as it often seems overwhelming when you begin the process of searching for the perfect practice and surgeon to do your tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).
It is important to have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons. Also make sure that your surgery is being performed in an accredited surgery center or hospital.
It is important to ask the right questions during your consultation:
1. Is your surgeon a board-certified plastic surgeon?
- Be sure he or she is a plastic surgeon, there are a lot surgeons that are cosmetic surgeons or board certified in other fields other than plastic surgery. They do not do the same training as a plastic surgeon.
- You can check the American Board of Plastic Surgery website for a list of plastic surgeons in your area.
2. Does your surgeon commonly perform this procedure?
- Ask to see before and after pictures or look online for reviews on the procedure.
3. Where is the surgery performed?
- Is the procedure performed in an accredited surgery center or hospital?
4. Who performs the anesthesia for the procedure?
- Is an anesthesiologist performing the anesthesia?
5. What is included in the tummy tuck?
- Liposuction of the abdomen, flanks ect…
6. Ask about the recovery of the tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)
- Most patients need about two weeks to recover from the surgery.
7. Are drains used for the tummy tuck?
- I typically do not use any drains in my tummy tucks. I use a technique called progressive tension sutures that avoids the need for the drains.
- The goal of not using drains in the abdominoplasty is to minimize the discomfort for patients and maximize the mobility for the patient after the procedure.
8. Is Exparel included in the cost of the procedure?
- Exparel is a local anesthetic that is injected during the procedure into the muscles that are tightened and into the liposuction areas and incisions.
9. You should also ask about the possible complications from the surgery. They are rare but a discussion you should have and how to prevent them from occurring.
10. Don’t be afraid to have a couple consultation with multiple board-certified plastic surgeon before deciding on your surgery. You want to have your tummy tuck surgery with someone you have comfortable with as it is a process.
The good news is that there are several very talented board-certified plastics surgeons in Austin Texas to perform your tummy tuck surgery.