Ideal Candidates for a Facelift or Neck Lift
You may be a great candidate for a facelift or neck lift if you:
- Have deep lines and wrinkles in the face and neck
- Have loose, sagging skin around the cheeks and jawline
- Have creases or folds between your nose and mouth
- Have lost volume in your face
- Want to look younger
- Are in good overall health
- Do not smoke or can stop smoking
- Have realistic expectations
Whether you want to increase the volume in your cheeks or correct turkey neck, Dr. Franco can create a custom treatment plan that combines multiple procedures to meet your aesthetic goals.
What to Expect at Your Consultation
When you arrive at our office, you will meet with Dr. Franco. He will closely examine your medical history and conduct a physical exam to determine the treatment options available to you. Dr. Franco will also go over the pros and cons of each procedure and how they can help you achieve your desired look. After your consultation, you will have an opportunity to talk about scheduling and fees with the patient care coordinator.
Full Facelift vs. Mini Facelift
In general, the difference between a full facelift and a mini facelift is the amount of work done on the internal facial tissue. While many patients perceive a mini facelift as having less scarring or a shorter recovery, this is not always true. In addition, the internal work of a full facelift makes your results look natural instead of tight.
Perhaps the most notable difference between the two procedures is the amount of work done on the neck. Most patients choose to include a neck lift in their full facelift procedure, which requires a muscle plication. However, a mini facelift rarely includes work on the neck. In addition, the results of a full facelift typically last longer than a mini facelift.
Preparing for a Facelift or Neck Lift Procedure
Like any surgery, the facelift or neck lift recovery process can last several weeks. For this reason, we suggest planning ahead to make your recovery as smooth as possible. In preparation for your surgery, you should:
- Ask someone to be your caretaker. During the first 1-2 days of recovery, you will need someone to drive you home, monitor you, and drive you to your follow-up appointment. This can be a spouse, friend, or family member.
- Prepare your recovery area. Make sure that your recovery area is comfortable and has everything you need (medications, snacks, entertainment, etc.).
- Complete any chores ahead of time. During the first few weeks of recovery, you won’t be able to perform much physical activity. Make sure you do any chores you may have ahead of time.
- Stop taking anti-inflammatory medication. Franco will tell you when to stop taking Aspirin, Advil, etc.
- Keep hydrated. Make sure you are well-hydrated the week leading up to your facelift surgery. Water is an important component used by the body for healing and will ensure a smooth recovery.
- Fill any pain medications Dr. Franco prescribes the day before your procedure. By getting your medication ahead of time, you won’t miss any doses or have to stop at the pharmacy on your way home from surgery.
- Avoid drinking alcohol. You should stop drinking alcohol at least 5 days before your procedure. Alcohol will increase your risk of excessive bleeding.
- Stop smoking. Since nicotine can interfere with the body’s healing processes and increases the risk of surgical complications, you should stop smoking for at least six weeks prior to your procedure.
- Prep nutritious meals. Since you will need to rest during the first couple of weeks, you should prepare healthy food ahead of time so you do not have to cook.
On the day of your surgery, make sure to wear comfortable, loose clothing, preferably a zip-up hoodie or buttoned shirt. Your treatment area will be sensitive after the procedure, so you want to avoid pulling anything over your head.
How a Facelift/Neck Lift is Performed
At the beginning of your facelift or neck lift surgery, Dr. Franco will give you anesthesia to make the procedure more comfortable. He will then place incisions along the hairline and behind the ear. The exact location of these incisions varies from patient to patient, but Dr. Franco will tell you the placement before your procedure.
Dr. Franco will use the incisions to remove loose skin and tighten underlying facial tissues. He may also use fat transfer to soften the appearance of your face. After the procedure is complete, Dr. Franco will close your incisions and apply a face wrap. Depending on the nature of your surgery, Dr. Franco may recommend that you spend one night in the hospital.
Facelift/Neck Lift Recovery
After your procedure, you will still feel tired from the anesthesia, so you need someone to take you home and watch you for at least 24 hours. The next day, you will return to our office so that Dr. Franco can remove the face wrap. He will then place a simple band to support your neck and minimize swelling. This can be removed while showering.
For the first week after surgery, you should relax as much as possible and avoid strenuous activity. While it is important to get up and walk around several times per day to help blood flow, avoid any heavy lifting or running. Your face and neck will likely be swollen and bruised, and the sutures in your face will be removed at your follow-up. After the first week, you can start using makeup to cover any residual bruising.
By the end of the first two weeks, much of your swelling and bruising should be resolved. While you will be feeling much better, you are still healing and should avoid major physical activity.
After six weeks, you can return to your normal workout routine or any strenuous activity. However, make sure you protect your skin from excess sun exposure. At this point, you will be able to see the preliminary results of your facelift or neck lift. By twelve weeks, you should see your final results.
Maintaining Your Results
To preserve the results of your facelift or neck lift, make sure you do the following:
- Pursue a healthy lifestyle. Any type of significant weight fluctuation can cause your skin to gain volume and then deflate. This can cause sagging skin, so try to keep your weight stable.
- Wear sunscreen when out in the sun. The most common cause of skin aging is excessive sun exposure. To protect your results, wear sunscreen when you go outside for more than 30 minutes.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking is not only bad for your skin, but also increases your risk of cancer or other adverse health effects.
By following these simple steps, you can expect your facelift results to last anywhere from 8-10 years. While a full facelift can turn back the hands of time for your facial appearance, it cannot prevent the natural aging process. However, while your skin may sag again over the next decade, you will still look younger than your age.
Cost of a Facelift/Neck Lift
At Austin Plastic Surgeon, we believe that every prospective patient deserves to see the cost of their procedure upfront so they can plan accordingly. To learn more about the cost of a facelift, neck lift, or other combined procedures, please visit our pricing page.
Want to Have a More Youthful Facial Appearance? Contact Dr. Johnny Franco Today
If you want to rejuvenate your face to a more youthful appearance, call Austin Plastic Surgeon today at 512-827-0638 to schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Franco. He will create a custom procedure that will leave you looking young and beautiful. We welcome patients from throughout Texas and the United States to our office in Austin.